This is our annual Remembrance Day tradition post. Always remember to click on our newest annual post to stay updated, as terms and conditions, as well as benefits can change any time without notice.
Every year, we do our best to list as many travel related discounts as possible for active and retired military personnel (as well as family members), depending on the company to take advantage of any time during the year.
If we missed anything, please let us know in the comment section below. We really hope that make as complete and comprehensive a list as possible.
Note that this post focuses on leisure travel only. There are other discounts available for military business travel through the respective Human Resources Department.
Air Transat and Porter Airlines have been added to the list this time around.
- Air Canada – Up to 3 baggage fees are waived for active and retired members of the Canadian military. Each bag has a maximum weight of 32 kg (or 70 lb) for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or Air Canada Express. Military identification must be provided at the time of check-in with the customer service agents, it will not work on self-checkout.
- Air Transat – Receive a complimentary standard seat assignment. Receive a 25% discount on Option Plus (if available). Receive 1 checked baggage fee waived, with a maximum weight of 32 kgs on Economy class – Eco, Eco promo, Eco extra and Eco max fare levels. Receive 50% off additional checked baggage fees and other baggage charges.
- Porter – Up to 3 baggage fees waived for active or retired Canadian and US military personnel travelling for business or personal. Each bag has a maximum size of 203 cm (or 80 in) and not weigh more than 32 kg (or 70 lb). Military identification must be shown at airport check in.
- WestJet – Up to 4 baggage fees are waived on WestJet flights and up to 3 baggage fees are waived on WestJet Encore flights. This waiver applies to active and retired Canadian military personnel (as well as active military personnel from other countries). Each bag up to 157 centimetres (or 62 inches) in combined dimension (length + width + height) and weighing 23 kilograms (or 50 pounds). In order to qualify for this exemption, military identification must be shown.
- Greyhound – Receive a 10% discount on any fare for active and retire military personnel, as well as dependent family members. A valid Military ID, retired Military ID, VETERANSOFCANADA.CA card, or Club XTra card (for dependents) is required. This only applies for Greyhound Canada, Vancouver Island Coach Lines, Voyageur and Grey Goose Lines.
- Alamo – No additional driver fees, no underage driver fees (normally minimum age for on-duty military rental is 18 years old), Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) included when traveling on official business or tour-of-duty orders. A government-issued credit card or official travel orders will be required for reservations. A military or government-issued ID may be required at time of pick up. Use Contract ID “GOVBIZ” to receive the federal government rate.
- Avis – Free unlimited kilometres and no additional or underage driver fees for military personal travelling for business or pleasure.
- Hertz – Offers military employees discounted rates, space available upgrades and complimentary membership in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
- National– Offers military members with special rates and benefits that are available across Canada.
- Thrifty – Offers military members with special rates and benefits that are available across Canada.
- Choice Hotels – Offers discounts to active and retired military personnel. Official military identification will be required at the time of check in.
- IHG – Military discount code available. Official military identification will be required at the time of check in.
- InnVest Reit Hotels – Receive 15% off best available rate, free high-speed Internet, free local calls, free in-room tea & coffee, free breakfast (depending on location) and free parking (depending on location). These offers apply to military personnel and their families at hotels across Canada. Participating Hotels include: Best Western North Bay, Comfort Inn, Delta London Armouries, Hilton Garden Inn Toronto-Burlington, Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Les Suites Hotel Ottawa, Quality, Quality Suites, Staybridge Suites, Travelodge and Radisson.
- Marriott Niagara Falls on the Falls Hotel – Special rates and discounts available to military employees. Military identification is required at check-in.
- VIA Rail – Receive a 25% discount on adult, senior, student, youth and child fares in all classes and on all trains for qualifying Canadian Armed Forces and Department of National Defence members and immediate families. The discount applies to all classes excluding Prestige class, Discount Tuesday Sleeper class fare and Escape fares. The qualifying member must present specified identification at any time upon request by a VIA employee.
Travel Booking Site
- Armed Forces Vacation Club – Offers discounts on vacation packages.
- CheapOair – Offers discounts for flights to the military