Looks like the airlines are loosening up on the travel vouchers. I wrote a post at the end of March hoping to see longer travel vouchers. There is an ongoing heated debate about whether airlines should be refunding cancelled flights or offering vouchers.
Arguments for Each Side
Here is a quick summary of arguments on both sides:
- Arguments in favour of passengers: arguing that legally, airlines need to refund cancelled trips, some people really need their money back to pay bills
- Arguments in favour of airlines: no refund due to exceptional circumstances, cash flow issues
I was really hope that a win/win scenario would be to extend travel vouchers, so that passengers have more travel flexibility and airlines can keep their cash flow. It is not a one-shoe fits all solution, but at least both sides are getting something as a compromise.
Below are the current travel vouchers offers by airlines most relevant to Canadians. Many airlines are adopting the 24 month travel voucher, which is even higher than the 18 months that I was looking for! There are still some airlines that need to catch up too.
- No cancellation fees for flights booked before April 15, 2020. Passengers will receive a travel credit that can be used within 24 months of the cancellation date.
- One-time fee waiver of applicable cancellation/change fee for tickets booked between March 10, 2020 and April 5, 2020, for travel before December 15, 2020.
- Passengers that have a flight before May 31, 2020, will receive a credit for future travel to be used within 24 months of original travel dates.
- No cancellation fee for travel through May 31, 2020 before tickets booked before February 27, 2020. Passengers will receive a credit certificate for future travel. New travel must be completed by February 28, 2021, but pay any fare differences.
- No cancellation fee for tickets purchased between February 27, 2020 and April 30, 2020 for travel through February 28, 2021. Passengers will receive a credit certificate for future travel. New travel must be completed by February 28, 2021, but pay any fare differences.
- No change fees (including changing origin and destination cities) for any tickets purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.
- No change fees for travel through May 31, 2020.
- In both cases mentioned above, customers must pay any fare difference, as well new travel must be completed by December 31, 2021.
- Members must log into British Airways account to view the information.
- No change fee for travel before May 31, 2020. Flight needs to be rebooked for travel before December 31, 2020.
- If passengers wants to cancel their flight, they will receive voucher that is valid for 12 months from the original departure date of the first booking.
- No change or cancellation fee for flights before April 30, 2020 regardless of fare type.
- For non-refundable fares, the refund will be issued as a travel credit voucher that will be valid for one year from date of issue.
- Unlimited no changes fee (rebooking or rerouting) for tickets issued on or before March 23, 2020, for travel until June 9, 2020. Travel needs to be completed before March 31, 2021.
- Unlimited no changes fee for tickets issued before April 20, 2020. This applies to changes and travel before March 31, 2021.
- Message from CCEO Ronald Lam.
- No change fees for travel before May 31, 2020. Can rebook for travel travel through May 31, 2022.
- One-time rebooking fee will be waived for flights through May 2020 (regardless of booking date), but need to pay any differences in fares. Travel changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure.
- One-time rebooking fee will be waived for future flights booked in March, April and May 2020. This extension will be valid for travel until May 31, 2021, to any destination Flair flies. Differences in fares will still apply. Travel changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure.
- Passengers with unknown travel dates will be eligible to receive a voucher for future travel valid before May 31, 2021.
- Customers who cancel their flight are eligible to receive a 24 month travel credit in the value of the original amount paid. No action needed as the original booking number to be used for future travel credit.
- No re-booking fee for travel up to December 31, 2020, if re-booked before April 31, 2020. There is also no change fee for new travel booked between March 3, 2020 and April 30, 2020.
- If passengers want to cancel a trip, travel certificates will be issued and valid for 24 months from issuance.
- One-time change fee waiver for flights booked before March 3, 2020 for travel in March, April or May 2020. One-time change fee waiver for flights booked for all new flight bookings made between March 3, 2020 and May 31, 2020.
- If a flight refund is requested, passengers will receive a travel credit in the form of a Travel Bank, valid for 24 months.
Please let us know in the comment section below if we are missing any. We would like this information to be as updated as possible. You can find current information on our menu bar under COVID-19.