See also: COVID-19 Updates for our most up-to-date tracking.
For some parts of the world, travel seems to be opening up, especially in the United States. However, in other places like Canada, travel restrictions continue, and are as strict as they have been. So many people have been unable to generate activity on some of their hotel loyalty programs to keep their accounts active.
Today we are posting an update on some of the temporary elite status and points expiry extensions offers by the various hotel chains.
On a side note, if you are entering Canada and require to complete the mandatory 3-day quarantine, your booking should allow you to accumulate points. Depending on the hotel, you can potentially redeem your points too. If you have any experience with this, please feel free to share in the comment section below!
For now, this is a snapshot of the current highlights that we have been keeping tabs on:
- Elite status earned in 2019 for 2020 are extended through January 31, 2022.
- No expiry policy.
- Members who achieved Gold, Platinum, or Diamond status as of May 20, 2020, are extended through December 31, 2021 (regardless of how many nights stayed in 2020).
- Points expiry paused for elite status members until December 31, 2021.
- In 2021, members can earn status with half the nights, stays or base points required in 2021. All 2020 nights have rolled-over to 2021.
- All current elites statuses extended through March 31, 2022
- Points expiration paused through December 31, 2021.
- Awards with 2020 Expiration: (i.e. all unused Free Night, Suite Upgrade or Club Lounge Access awards) with expiration dates between March 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will be extended to December 31, 2021.
- Awards with 2021 Expiration: (i.e. all unused Suite Upgrade and Club Lounge Access awards) with February 28, 2021 expiration dates will be extended to December 31, 2021.
- All unused Free Night awards that were earned in 2020 with 2021 expiration dates will be extended to December 31, 2021.
- Current elite statuses will automatically be extended to February 28, 2022.
- Points expiration paused through June 30, 2021.
- Current elite statuses will automatically be extended to January 31, 2022.
- Points never expire for elite status members. For everyone else, points expiry are paused until June 30, 2021.
- Starting May 6, 2021, members who had a Free Night Award with an original expiration date in 2020, or which will expire before January 2, 2022, as part of their co-brand credit card Benefit, Annual Choice Benefit, promotions or travel package will be able to redeem it through January 3, 2022.
- Suite Night Awards have been extended from December 31, 2020 to December 31, 2021.
- Current elite statuses will automatically be extended to February 1, 2022.
- Points expiration are paused until March 31, 2022.
- Elite status members that were set to expire on December 31, 2020, are extended to December 31, 2021.
- Points expiration are paused until June 30, 2021.