Below is an update of temporary terms and conditions offered by loyalty companies relevant to Canadians, due to COVID-19. The updates focuses on companies (airlines, hotels, cinema, train).
We also have an ongoing updated page found on the menu bar. The reason I am writing this post is because I have been hoping for airlines to extend their vouchers by at least 18 months. Some airlines even took it to 24 months (Air Transat, United, WestJet). I hope to see more airlines follow suit!
If you see anything else that can be updated, please let us know in the comment section below, as we want to ensure that this information is as up-to-date as possible!
- There is no cancellation fee for Aeroplan Flight Rewards for travel until April 30, 2020 and the 12 month expiry policy is put on pause until May 14, 2020. Miles will be refunded, as well as any associated taxes, fees and surcharges. Also Altitude elite statuses held in 2020, will automatically be extended through the end of 2021. Members can also gift the 2020 status to a friend or loved one through to 2021. Message from CEO Calin Rovinescu.
- There are no changes fees for travel between March 12, 2020 and April 30, 2020.
- There is no cancellation fees for flights booked before April 15, 2020. Passengers will receive full credit to use towards travel before April 30, 2021. Message from CEO Calin Rovinescu.
- Extending the travel period for all unused segments on 2019 Aurora Air Passes from end date of April 30 2020 to June 30, 2020. Also, one-time $0 fee waiver of applicable cancellation/change fee for travel on all routes for bookings made before March 4, 2020 for travel until April 30, 2020.
- All flights suspended until April 30, 2020. Passengers that have a flight before April 30, 2020, will receive a credit for future travel to be used within 24 months of original travel dates.
- There is a distinction on refund process for tickets purchased on or after February 26, 2020 (for travel up to May 31, 2020). There is a fee waived depending on which type of ticket you purchases. Current Mileage Plan status will be extended through December 31, 2021. Companion certificates are extended to be used before December 31, 2020 for travel before November 26, 2021. Tickets booked with miles for travel before May 31, 2020 can be changed with no fee or refunded along with taxes.
- No change fee for any tickets purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020. Customers must pay any fare difference at time of ticketing of the new fare. Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this new offer. Travel must be completed by December 31, 2021. There are also no change fees for customers who purchase tickets after April 7, 2020 through May 31, 2020.
- There are no cancellation fees for all bookings made at least 24 hours before arrival for all stays up to June 30, 2020.
- Members must log into British Airways account to view the information. There is no change fee on all new bookings made between March 3, 2020 and May 31, 2020, or receive a voucher for any existing bookings that depart up to May 31, 2020. A voucher must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months from the departure date of the first flight original booking.
- No change or cancellation fee for flights between March 23, 2020 and April 30, 2020 regardless of fare type. For non-refundable fares, the refund will be issued as a travel credit voucher that will be valid for one year from date of issue.
- Bookings made on or before March 23, 2020 for travel until May 31, 2020 can be changed with no rebooking fee or rerouting fees. Bookings made between March 9, 2020 and April 20, 2020 will have free and unlimited changes. Travel must be made before February 28, 2021. Message from CCEO Ronald Lam.
- Indefinite closure of all locations including theatres, The Rec Room and Playdium.
- Change fees waived for all travel departing in March, April or May 2020. Furthermore, if tickets were purchases between March 1, 2020 and April 15, 2020, passengers can adjust travel without a change fee for up to a year from the date it was purchased. The 2020 SkyMiles Medallion members will have their statuses extended throughout 2021. Message from CCEO Bill Lentsch.
- One-time rebooking fee will be waived for flights from March to May 2020 (regardless of booking date), but will need to pay the differences in fare for future travel. Change requests must be made at least 24 hours before departure. Passengers with unknown travel dates will be eligible to receive a voucher for future travel valid before May 31, 2021.
- Full changes or cancellation (even those described as non-cancellable) without a charge up to 24 hours prior to arrival made by June 30, 2020. All members whose 2019 status were scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020 are automatically extended to March 31, 2021. The 2020 member statuses will also be extended to March 31, 2022. Expiration of all points are paused until December 31, 2020.
- All existing reservations for stays up to June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before scheduled arrival. Also February 28, 2021 elite expiration will be automatically extended to February 28, 2022.
- No cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels globally for stays between March 9, 2020 and April 30, 2020.
- Full changes or cancellation without charge (including reservations with pre-paid rates) up to 24 hours prior to arrival for stays before June 30, 2020. Current elite statuses (i.e. earned in 2019) will be extended to February 2022. Points expiration are paused until February 2021. At that time, points will only expire if an account has been inactive for at least 24 months.
- All flights cancelled between March 21, 2020 and May 31, 2020. Passengers should have received a travel credit by March 25, 2020. Also, change fees waived for all bookings made before March 31, 2020, for travel at least 24 hours before departure and within the next 12 months.
- All flights suspended between March 17, 2020 and April 30, 2020. Customers are eligible to receive a 24 month travel credit in the value of the original amount paid. No action needed as the original booking number to be used for future travel credit. Effective March 25, 2020, final payments will now be due 25 days before the departure date (instead of the usual 45 days) for departures from May 1, 2020 and June 30, 2020.
- There is no re-booking fee for tickets issued on or after March 2, 2020, and travel up to May 31, 2020. There is also no change fee for new travel booked between March 3, 2020 and April 30, 2020. MileagePlus Premier statuses will be extended to January 31, 2022. Travel certificates are valid for 24 months from when they were issued.
- Full refund and no cancellation fee for all travel through July 1, 2020.
- All new flight bookings made between March 3, 2020 and April 15, 2020 will be allowed a one-time change fee waiver. For flights booked before April 15, 2020 for travel in March, April or May 2020, there is a one-time fee waiver for changes or cancellations made at least 2 hours prior to departure. Flight refunds will be returned as a future travel credit in the form of a Travel Bank, valid for 24 months. Message from CEO Ed Sims.
- No cancellation fees for existing and new direct bookings for stays through May 31, 2020.
As mentioned in the beginning of the post, if you see anything missing, please let us know in the comment section below!