The American Express Business Gold Rewards Card recently changed its sign up bonus points from 25,000 to 40,000 when referred. So this credit card is due for an analysis. Below are the highlights of the credit card:
- $250 annual fee (first year fee waived)
- Earn 40,000 sign up bonus points when referred (30,000 without referral) after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months
- Earn 10,000 points for every referral
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all purchases
- Earn 1 additional point for every $1 spent at 3 suppliers of your choice to a maximum of 250,000 additional points each calendar year
The first year annual fee is an unbelievable deal right now, so anyone who is considering signing up for this credit card, this should make the decision much easier.
The question arises on whether it is worth it to retain this credit card beyond the first year, because the annual fee is definitely very steep. and you may be better off just having the American Express Gold Rewards Card instead, because that credit card is only $150 annual fee with first year fee waived. Though keep in mind that if you have a business, the $250 annual fee should be tax deductible (please consult your accountant).
Furthermore, the American Express Gold Rewards Card gives 2x points on many categories. Though this is the factor that sets the Business version apart. You have the choice of 3 supplies to earn the additional point with, rather than the categories chosen by American Express. What you can do is use both the regular Gold Rewards Card and the Business version in combination with each other. That way, you can cover many more categories/stores, and bank all your points into the same Membership Rewards program. Membership Rewards are some of the most valuable points out there because of it’s ability to transfer to different rewards partners.
Though keep in mind that there is a specific list of supplies to choose from, but if you can take advantage of earning the bonus point at 3 specific supplies, not included the American Express Gold Rewards Card, then you have an opportunity to come out ahead. The list of suppliers include:
- 407 ETR
- Acklands Grainger
- Atlas Van Lines
- Best Buy Company Inc., Future Shop
- Canada Linen & Uniform Services, Quebec Linge
- Castle Building Centres
- CDMV Inc.
- CDW Canada
- Dixon Electric
- Gescan Ontario
- Goodyear Canada Inc.
- Halpern Enterprises
- Hiossen Implant Canada Inc.
- K Dental Inc.
- Kal Tire
- Lowe’s Canada
- MVR Cash and Carry
- Nobel Biocare Canada
- Patene Building Supplies
- Pattison Outdoor Advertising
- Pneus Andre Touchette Distribution Inc.
- Quickbooks Canada
- Rotsaert Dental Laboratory Service Inc.
- Sameday Worldwide
- SESCO/OSSO Electric Supplies
- Shaw Communications
- Texcan Ontario
- The Argen Corporation Kastle Mills
- The Insurebc Group
- The Medcan Clinic
- Unisource Canada
- Vector Energy